Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Happy Father’s Day Papa

My father . . . physically he was a tall, strong, well built and a handsome man and from the inside he was a loving man, loyal and caring and an amazing musician.

Since I was a child my dad always seemed like a giant to me since he was almost six feet tall. I used to hold his pant and walk about because I barely reached his knees and his hands seemed way too high for me to hold. I loved it when my dad came to pick me up from school because he would let me eat all the junk food I’d want and never say no to anything. My dad would play ‘house house’ with me and eat and drink the delicious food I would pretend to cook. He always gave into my imagination. We used to watch wrestling, football and cricket together. Even as a child I’d always argue with him when India and Pakistan would play saying Pakistan would surely win. He’d just laugh and keep arguing just to pull my leg.

Time passed so quickly and I grew up all the childish play was over but my dad hadn't changed. He’d still buy me junk food, give me extra pocket money on my way back to boarding school and still save me from my mum’s yelling. He hated to see me cry. My dad was a man of few words which often scared people. When he learned I had boyfriend he was more protective than ever. My dad was always encouraging when it came to my career and all the other things I planned to do with my life. He hated to say no to me for anything, so he’d tell my mother and she’d end up being the bad one for saying no. Despite being sick for my I.S.C examinations I did pretty well, dad was super proud and he’d roam around with a print out of my mark sheet to show off just in case someone asked him how I faired.

He traveled quite a bit and I’d always ask him what he would get me, sometimes there wouldn't really be anything to buy yet he’d make sure to at least bring home sweets because I’d wait near his bag to see what he got me. I remember the first time he went abroad, his little suitcase was filled with boxes of chocolates just for me. I loved it when he went to Banaras because he’d buy me all the different colored bangles that I still treasure.

It’s difficult to pen down and express the kind of bond my dad and I shared, but in the eighteen years that I knew my father I don’t remember him yelling at me or raising his voice. He never voiced how much he loved me but we all know actions speak louder than words. It’s been three years since he’s gone but I know if he were here today he’d be proud. My father wasn't a superstar or a hero, he didn't leave me a huge bank balance but he gave me what I needed the most as a child and all through those eighteen years, he gave me the love of a father!!!

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY PAPA!!!!

Thank you for all that you were and all the love you gave me. Love you heaps.


1 comment: